01/11/2009

Sweet laziness

With my release from hospital now is back to sweet laziness at home. Sleep, eat, take medicine (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.....uff!) rest, eat slowly (by lunch stomach is paying back all the medicine), then rest, change wound dressing, read, watch tv, read, rest, cook and eat (usually much more appetite for dinner), watch tv and sleep.
IN CASE YOU HAVE MISSED IT I ONLY GO BACK TO HOSPITAL ON THE 9TH TO START TREATMENT. I need to cure the infection wound first.
I was not made for a lazy life. Not this one at least. Maybe for a different kind of lazy living on a tropical beach surrounded by friends and family.
It comes as no surprise that one of the main side effects of treatment, as described by nurses, is boredom.
Maybe this is the opportunity to see all those famous TV series that I managed to miss: LOST, Sex in the City, Ugly Betty...you name it and avoid anything to do with doctors and hospitals. My real experience will be enough as an insight into this domain.
Or maybe I can read some classics, nothing with more than 200 pages, or I may find them still unread at the end of the treatment.
One thing is certain I will use all the pampering they make available at hospital: massage, reflexology. I wonder is there manicure as well....maybe hairdresser? It could be useful to try some new hair do with the two or three hairs that will be left in my head in no time. As Kate, the nicest nurse I ever met, says hair will fall, but will come back. Mmmmm! is there any hope that will come back stronger and in greater volume? Lol
Loosing weight is a concern. After all there is not much to loose. Kate says I will not need necessarily to loose weight. They are there to control eating with dietitians. Yeah right! You inject me all kinds of chemo (I will look like a third world dump taking developped world's toxic waste) and the body is supposed to take it and be happy. Not this body here. Oh! that recalls me I need to make a list of don'ts in food. I am afraid it is not the time to try a re-education programme in lamb, saumon, fish that a Portuguese would not eat and the likes. So far I have no complains with the hospital food, though I must confess that each time the temptation to move from soup directly to desert is quite strong. I better work out a stock of snacks for my 'private' ward corner just in case of necessity. And will set a number of dealers in Portuguese custards from 'Lisboa' in Golborne Road.
Have to go now. X-Factor is starting at any time and I still need to cook. You don't know what X-Factor is? Just my salvation of Saturdays and Sundays nights. A singing talent contest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Convenhamos Miguel o cabelo não te faz falta nenhuma - sempre tiveste pouco e o teu estilo manter-se-á inalterável com ou sem cabelo, com mais ou menos musculo. Natalia

Cão Traste said...

lol
assim e que se fala. como te sentiste quando cortaste a tua pelucia de leoa e viraste um mocinho? lol