07/12/2009

A5 neighbours

As advanced the ward is busy and I have been allocated bed A5, which stands in the middle :-( There are 6 beds in the "room". Three on one side, three on the other. As I was settling, I realized the something was familiar. There were two other Portuguese patients around. So, I have Manuel on my left and Manuel in front of me. Both on their 50's. And there is a Pepe on my right side, maybe Spanish, But bit quiet for a Spanish, not the usual trac trac trac trac. Manuel in front is quiet, but Manuel on the left is a chatty character. He simply doesn't stop. He beats me in all fronts. I contained myself and did not introduce myself, better go undercover and avoid that Manuel on the left starts harrassing me with bullshit conversation. Apart from that, going undercover allows me to listen to their conversations. As they think they are alone, the pearls that come out of their mouth are precious. They look like two old villager ladies chatting on all possible subjects with no end. Oh! and Manuel on the left's mobile is loud, he is louder, he whistles. Additionally, both exchange views on anything accross the room like if they are at their local caffe. Manuel on the left has just received the visit of Maria. She also gets pretty loud on the mobile. She couldn't hear apparently, so we had participate all in her call. Things start getting interesting when she decides that the staff are not treating Manuel on the left properly and has a row at the nurse. "These clowns are doing nothing, they will see, I will teach them a lesson. Always the same. They start taking care of patient and leave it in the middle". She turns to the nurse and says: "You are finishing with Manuel right? Today, not in three hours? He wants to know if its before midnight. Do you understand? Before midnight". The nurse turns her back and Maria says that British can not understand our humour! The three agree staff have a very...British humour. Lol. They also ellaborate on population numbers in Portugal and England and emigration. They refer to emigrants as "those foreigners". They forget they are emigrants themselves. Maria asks Manuel in front: "Do you know other awards in this hospital?" She means wards. Sweet! And they start ellaborating on the cleaning of the ward. Cleaning seems to be a national obession, even for me. It must be years of "cleaning lady" type of jobs. Not that I have done that one, yet! They are now, the three, in the best style 'Gato Fedorento" comedy, reviewing each ones diseases and problems like in a competition: who has the most and the worst problems? The three are the typical Portuguese emigrant I am afraid - despite years abroad they did not assimilate anything from the new culture, they remain the same Manuel and Maria of the little village or even big city back home. Sad. Being a villager boy myself, I know what I am saying and I can confirm the thesis of human evolution. Lol. So, I impatiently wait to be moved to bed B3, by the window and hope they do not understand I am 'one of them".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obrigatório falar em inglês com o Mike...ai se eles te descobrem...estás fodido (para os mais sensiveis peço desculpa pela ma linguagem).

Anonymous said...

Mike, ja estou de volta e fico mto satisfeita por saber que continuas em grande forma linguistica. Boa sorte para a quarta semana! E cumprimentos aos Maneis. Bj. Marta

Sinapse said...

O' pa', se eles descobrem que es tuga e que te calaste que nem um rato enquanto eles disparatavam animadamente ... ui ui!
Tens que combinar com a Maria Ivone, para ela nao te trair ...

Carlota said...

O que já me ri à conta dos Maneis e da Maria!...
Mas tu tem-me cuidado! Ai se eles descobrem que estás undercover...

Cão Traste said...

A Maria Ivone ja me traiu. Fui descoberto. :-(