27/01/2010

What an eventful day...and radio rocks

Where to start? Oh! yes...another trip to St Thomas Hospital. Third time lucky I got the right CD-ROM with the PET results. Another freezing crossing of the river (just in case you ask yourselves, I didn't swim, just walked...over the bridge), more tourists taking that special picture in front of the Big Ben (couldn't they create special lanes for tourists?).

Since it was the third time I was in the area I found it was convenient to turn tourist as well and visit the Westminster Abbey. 15 pounds (!!??) to get in (no wonder the donations box is empty). I did the moaning scene and asked the guy if the price included a private mess or if I was entitled to take a rock with me as souvenir. He got the joke, as he was foreigner as well and agreed that ...yes living in London is expensive...but don't mention it to my HR continental staff. For those London is affordable. Anyway, the Abbey should better be called Noble Cemetery, seen the number of noble tombs. Pretty busy really, some are almost on top of each other. A good illustration of London real estate demand! Even in post life. Some parts are beautiful though. And full of history, don't forget Diana's funeral was here. The price must be justified by the number of people working there. Do they really need them? And the finish touch....You can only leave through the...Yes...the shop. There is no other way. Certain things never change in this city. I was not excited in buying old fashion tea cups or illustrations with the Abbey.

Not satisfied enough with my religious incursion I walked to the Westminster Cathedral. This one is catholic while the other is protestant and more famous (the second). The Cathedral is a strange architectural mixture. Not a good example of religious interior design. Pretty ugly to be honest, but at least free. The catholics could learn something with their neighbours. The donations boxes have more use here...no wonder, they need 3,000 pounds per day to keep the church open. Can't they offshore? :-)

And then... reflexology session. Great preparation for the radio. So they say. Can't judge yet which difference it makes. But, it was definitely very good.

Finally, radio. A nurse explains me everyhting again: "you can not move, if we need to move you you don't help, you need to wait till we tell you it is finished" and the best of all..."when the machine starts moving it will get close to you but don't worry as it won't touch you!" Scary, because once under the machine I couldn't stop thinking that for some reason the machine would not stop at all and would crash my face. They have spent like 15 minutes measuring, checking ny position, doing more marks in my arm and chest. In between I felt like a victim of an alien. The big monster watching me from all angles, moving to see where to strike, getting closer and moving away again. And these red and green (at least the colours of Portugal) laser lights going around in the room. Off they go the nurses and leave me alone with the predator and rock music in the background. But I can't dance. The monster makes some noises. I am so stiff thoughout the process that my hands start hurting. It took like 2 minutes and it didn't feel like an eternity. The nurse is back and it is finished. That was quick and easy. Though sweet poison. You don't feel now, but you know something is being cooked inside. You will pay in the next days.

Note: My father passed away a year ago. Life is too short. Time flies. Tic tac tic tac tic tac.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

darling - just wanted to drop you a line letting you know that i'm thinking of you! Radio, eh? nice and easy part of it all - even though doesn't always feel like it the sessions draw to an end - really they do :-)
Heard you've been seen in Brussels and you looked good as always - happy to hear that!
So sorry to hear that today is the one year landmark - for me and my mom it is in a good month... you're right - life is too short - and life is here and now... and there is something beautiful in every day. no matter how gray the skies - the sun always shines above the clouds!
Lots of hugs - Therese <3

Sinapse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sinapse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.