13/01/2010

Putting on weight

"You have even put on weight!" ... the comment, from a colleague, right in the middle of a conversation that clearly meant that looking at my face it seems I have been stuffing myself, felt like 1000 bells ringing in my head. Help! I am putting on weight? But like in the weight is concentrated in my face...yes because the rest is pretty much like in good old days configuration. Oh gosh where is the gym? Miguel doesn't put on weight. Well, I lost a few kilos in the hospital. Normal I would say. But once back home, as a free man, free to choose the food I cook or pay for, I am back to normal. I just miss that extra (not big) bit of muscle that only gym (or a work in building) gives. And I miss gym, I do. I really thought that after chemo was finished I could run to the gym, but nope. The hickman line is still there and I better not have a flash of blood jumping from the line into the exercising neighbour. It wouldn't look good either in the swimming pool. Imagine me going down the stairs from the changing rooms into the pool with some stuff falling from my chest. Enough to scare everyone. The hickman line is not removed before the scanner results. It will take at least three weeks. Then there is radiotherapy. Not good idea either to have gym while roasting my left armpit. Anyway, if there is an advice I can give: exercise. I am absolutely convinced that I took chemo better than others because of all the gym. You may wonder but which gym, because you see me as slim. Well, I am not slim, I am fit. Doubts? In the first week in hospital the doctor asked me to soften the stomach so that she could do a check. Meaning, my stomach was in full abs splendor. Lol, but true! I have to thank G. for all his patience as my gym buddy. Despite feeling he was trying to kill me at each session, I even told him his goal was to see me being taken away in an ambulance, all the pain was worth it. No pain no gain.

No comments: