01/02/2010

This battle is won

I was going to write THE battle is won, but life is full of surprises and it is better to say THIS battle is won.

It is quite a relief to know that the PET confirms that the cancer is gone: "Comparison is made of the previous study of 29/10/09. (...) The findings indicate a complete metabolic response to treatment. The previously seen mass in the left axillla is no longer visualised on the current study". Ufffff!!!!!! The little fucker is gone.

The doctors were as happy as I. I guess that is their recompensation...to save lives. There are no bonus for them. Prof. B. started the consultation by playing with my financial job trying to trade the results summary for my potential bonus. I had to recall him again that I am not a banker...and certainly not one from Goldman Sachs. Doctors and nurses came around for the news and we all exchanged happy and relieved smiles.

But, what's next?

Radio goes on. It is considered as a bonus treatment. Since, the PET was made before radio started, that means that radio will further reassure that the cancer is not there.

I need to recover. Chemo destroys a lot and radio will make me tired. The immune system needs to come back fully. Though blood samples show things are ok, radio will bring the body down again.

Checks. I will need to go back for regular checks and they will teach me how to look for symptoms and this way avoid to freak out at any little suspicion.

Re-occurence. Unlike, but possible, even in several years time. As I had a rare mix of lymphoma types, they have no experience on re-occurence for my case. But as the doctor said: "If it comes back we know what to do."

So, this blog is not over yet.

They were going away when I recalled: "Hey what about the hickman line? Can't you take it out now?" You will read more about the hickman line in the next post.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did kill the bastard my friend!The true work of a real "Portuguese Man at War"! Hip Hip Hurrah! Well done! We are thrilled with your achievement and incredibly proud.Look forward to seeing you soon. The Cowlings

Cão Traste said...

Thanks Cowlings...I didn't go to the army, but still know how to fight.

Sinapse said...

:) até a minha alma sorri!

Cão Traste said...

a tua alma em estados de espirito? lol