13/02/2010

Moving fast into capital sin: gluttony

From hospital food to home food to restaurant food to successive and close meals goes in just a quick timeframe. At least with me. I found myself pampering with an afternon tea, at 18:00 at Claridge's (*), forgetting that dinner was set for 19:15. When I saw the price of the Claridge's Royal Tea I even thought of running away, but there was no escape. Counting the number of people around me, there is clearly no economic crisis in London. So, I stayed and stuffed myself in small delicious sandwiches (6 to be precise, and they wanted to give me more), tea and sweets: scones and a "lady bag" and a "pink heart" (a macarron with a rose petal on top!). The "lady bag" was a true little bag made of chocolate. I must confess that the heart and the bag gave me a certain St Valentine's nausea. I almost asked if they did not have anything more suitable for single guys, but they would probably not understand. Unfortunately, the bag remained untouched, by then I thought it was too much as in a few minutes I would be eating meat or fish. Plus you never know what comes in a "lady bag". You might end up with an indigestion for ingestion of several types of woman makeup, several sets of keys, sunglasses and the like.

(*) In order to complete my mood highly affected by the price of the tea, they claim that the tea tradition was introduced by a certain Duchess of Bedford. Not, it wasn't...it was introduced by that Catarina de Braganca, Portuguese princess (and ugly) that married to Charles I. Apart from gold and other common stuff, the Portuguese gave to England the city of Mumbai and boats filled with spices and tea. She also introduced in England the orange jelly, tobacco (the sinner), and the usage of cutlery. I shall clarify the Claridge's tea manager.

"Catherine introduced the custom of drinking tea in England, a custom that was already very popular among the Portuguese nobility at the time. The tea had been imported to Portugal from the Portuguese possessions in Asia as well as through the trade Portuguese merchants maintained with China and Japan."

4 comments:

Sinapse said...

Boa, Mike!

Cão Traste said...

e sempre a dar-lhe

Sinapse said...

Acabei de seguir o link para o Claridge's. Que lindo!!!!!! Tambem quero ir! e quero tratamento Royal Tea!!

Cão Traste said...

e um pouco classico.