29/10/2009

Identifying the type and treatment

So...lymphoma. Yep a high grade one. Meaning more aggressive (ah Tiger), but easier to attack with chemo. More details on his grace depend on further exams that will take place in a few hours. A bone marrow followed by a PET, that I insist on calling PAT. These plus the CT I did last Friday will determine the exact type and extension of the problem. Then rest tomorrow and may the infection of the biopsy cut allow it, treatment should start Monday 2nd.

Now on treatment. Please read carefully as I shall not repeat this twice. Chemo will be administered in hospital. I WILL BE FULL TIME IN HOSPITAL. Going home will be limited to a weekend here and there that doctors can not determine upfront. It depends on evolution of treatment and body reaction. My chemo implies that the immune system will be at low levels several times causing infections. Reason why I need to be in hospital full time. So, again.....I will be in hospital full time and will only go out very irregularly.

Saving you the full details, chemo will be administered in different ways and taking different times. 2 hours one day, drip for 24 hours another day, injections to the bone marrow here and there and so on. They will even give me salt?! I hope is the good Portuguese one. At the end thank God it is just salt, I have mixed it with 'sauda caustica' (don't know the translation), something that basically would have burn me all inside! If you are of a curious nature I will make sure that when you visit me doctors can also apply you a bit so that you taste the real thing. Nice, hein?

No comments: